Thursday, August 30, 2007

Summer Cleaning

It's that time of year - the heat is oppressive, the sun is shining at full magnitude, and dust particulates in the air are at a minimum. It's time for summer cleaning!

During August and September, and into part of October, the Department of Holy Places takes advantage of the fact that there are no pilgrims in the Holy Land and does a thorough deep clean of all the Holy Places under our jurisdiction. It's pretty cool to think about what an amazing opportunity we have to take care of the places and relics that are such an integral part of the history of the Baha'i Faith. Even if that means cleaning a candelabra with a toothbrush for three days, everyone is so devoted to their service that it makes no difference what needs to be done.

I've been mostly in the office fielding phone calls and general office-ness, but occasionally I've been asked to chauffer people around while the carpets are being shuttled back and forth to be cleaned. It's a nice change of scenery to be out of the office once in a while, even if it is just for an hour or so.

Only problem - SO HOT AND STICKY!! Plus, where we happen to be sunning the carpets is on white marble rooftop. It's so ridiculously bright out there, I don't understand how the guys haven't gone blind yet. I almost wish I had snowboarding goggles to put on out there, it's that bright - it's like snowblindness. (Man, now I miss Canada and all that snow...)

This must be what it's like for all the gardeners out in the gardens every single day. I think I feel their pain now. I really feel for the CMD Floor Crew too; they're now doing the pressure washing of all the roofs and walls of the Arc buildings and they're out there every single day getting sunburnt and soaking wet. But, to tell you the truth, I'm sort of jealous because I want to use the pressure washers; they're so much fun to use! I think I'm going to volunteer to help the crew clean the roofs next year.

Anyhoo, I get to go up again this evening and pile all the carpets back into the car for the ride down to their homes. Sometimes this job really does have its perks.

No comments: