Saturday, August 18, 2007

Giant Freaking Spiders Are Not Cool

I had a rather unpleasant experience this morning.

Nahid came into the hallway and exclaimed, "Shireen, come look at this thing!" So I hesitantly come around my desk to look, and there is a huge, freaky, chunky-legged, gross, furry spider. I mean, BIG. This thing looked like it was at least three inches across.

Dude, I don't know about any of you, but I happen to be terribly arachnophobic. I can't even stand the tiny jumping spiders that seem to inhabit my desk frequently; this spider was LARGE. So seeing this thing sitting on the floor by my desk just about gave me a heart attack. I couldn't move any closer, and when Nahid said we had to get rid of it, I ran into one of the side offices.

Synnove and I were hiding in the other office making poor Nahid try to get rid of the spiderous monstrosity, when she yelled that it had gone under my desk under my shoes. I don't mind telling you I just about cried. Synnove was confused, "The spider isn't always going to be in your shoes; she'll get it eventually." "Yeah," I replied, "but I'm still going to know that it was in there." *shudder*

Anyhoo, Synnove and I were cowering in the other office (well, I was cowering, and Synnove was sort of laughing at me) and Nahid asked if we had a broom, because she couldn't seem to catch it with a kleenex and put it outside. Well. She got herself a broom and was able to sweep the disgusting thing outside onto the mat.

This episode was even worse than the time that the spider in the bathroom decided to climb onto my toothbrush! (do you remember that one, Mom?) It was on the mirror and when I ran out of the bathroom to find someone to kill it, when we got back it had disappeared. Then I saw it nesting on my toothbrush. MY toothbrush; why me? I had to throw the toothbrush away after that...

I've decided that people who are arachnophobic shouldn't marry people who don't kill spiders but just re-release them. This is not a winning marital combination in my book. (Ok, fine, you don't have to kill ALL of them, but you better not ask me to help you catch them if you want to stay married.)

No comments: