Sunday, August 5, 2007

Coca-Cola as nausea medication?

Allow me to explain...

I was feeling really nauseated the other day, so Tahereh from my office told me to drink some Coke to feel less queasy. I was extremely skeptical, knowing full well how much carbonation and sugar is in a can of that stuff.

But then, not two hours later, Anis came to the office to visit, saw I was feeling nauseated, and told me to drink a can of Diet Coke he had in his bag. Wha...? At that point, I thought it was probably another weird Brazillian thing I just didn't understand (as Anis and Tahereh are both from Brazil).

THEN my coordinator Taraneh walked by my desk, heard our conversation, and mentioned how helpful Coke is for relieving stomach pain. I'd heard enough - I drank the darn Diet Coke.

Interestingly enough, did you know that in the beginning Coca-Cola was used as medication? It seems it was one of those cure-what-ails-you concoctions; I personally think the "medicinal properties" probably owed more to the fact that it was originally made with cocaine than anything else. Did you also know that Coke was originally green? Ah, the things you can learn.

Remember, dear friends, that I always have been, and always will be, your best source of perfectly useless information.

2 comments:

Kat Eghdamian said...

to let the world know: i do refer to shireen for useless information and i am eternally grateful for her storehouse of all the bits and pieces you either:
a) never thought twice about; or
b) never wanted to know about until you knew about it (through Shireen) and then suddenly you are a better person for knowing about it.
did that make sense?

anyway, i agree, coke is the cure for all things. by that i mean coca cola. oh Lord.

Anonymous said...

Learn something new everyday... :P