Thursday, August 30, 2007

Just a Day in the Life of Me

Today was so ridiculous, I have to give you a rundown of what happened. This was one of those days where you just have to laugh at the absurdity of it all or else you'll start crying hysterically and never stop.

7:00 am - Wake up and get ready for work.
7:50 am - Wait at bus stop for 7:55 bus.
8:10 am - Still waiting at bus stop for 7:55 bus. I meet up with Nagmeh from Personnel, and we decide to catch a taxi down to work. AS SOON as we decide that, THREE buses show up one behind the other. Sheesh.
8:20 am - Arrive at work. Parwaneh tells me I need to drive a bunch of carpets to the Seat roof where they are going to be sunned and cleaned. Cool. I have to drive through the Hatzionut gate down to the Pilgrim House, and I need to call Dispatch to unlock the gate for me. Daniel and I head to the gate and drive in. We load up all the carpets, careful to be out of there by 9:00 for the public tours to start.
9:45 am - Drive back to the office after dropping off the carpets at the Seat roof. Try and get some work done. Don't succeed particularly well.
11:30 am - Have to head up to the lunchroom for a production staff meeting regarding the Ihtifal play this upcoming month. Amelia calls to say she'll be late, so by the time she arrives, we end up only having about a twenty minute meeting before she has to head back to her office.
1:00 pm - Return to the office and try to finish some filing. Doesn't work; I keep getting interrupted. Matine and Kiv stop by to show me their new tattoos, and then Ian stops by for awhile before heading off to laminate things. Laminating...fun times...
2:00 pm - Parwaneh tells me I need to pick Synnove up at the Shrine of Baha'u'llah tonight after she's finished closing it, since she's been out there for the past ten days and needs to bring all her stuff home tonight. Which means that I have to drive out after Mr. Dunbar's class finishes at 9:00. Ok, this is going to be a long day...
4:00 pm - Call David, who's up with the carpets, to see if they can be picked up yet. I have another production meeting to get to at 5:40, and then Tai Chi at 6:00, so my schedule's a little tight. Turns out they're running a little late as well, so I can't go up to get the carpets until about 4:45.
4:45 pm - I pick up the finished carpets and head back down to the Pilgrim House. Before I go, I notice the rear tire of the car is almost completely flat, so I have to get it filled with air NOW if I'm supposed to drive to Akka tonight; I have no idea how late the gas stations are open here.
5:25 pm - I'm at the gas station panicking, because it turns out not only was there no air in the tires but there was also no oil or coolant in the engine, and we're out of washer fluid. While I'm still there, Parwaneh calls my cell to let me know I need to go back to the Seat and pick up the last remaining carpets and bring them back down. Yikes! I fill up the air in the tire, but I can't replace the oil myself so the gas station attendant is fixing the engine while I call Amelia in a frenzy and tell her I won't make either the meeting or the Tai Chi class. Frustration is totally setting in right about now...
6:00 pm - I'm back at the Seat getting the last of the carpets. I'm a little nervous about the tire, but we can watch it over the next few days to make sure it's not a permanent problem. David can't fit in the car with me on the way down, so I have the move the last carpets into the Pilgrim House myself. No problem except, when I'm leaving, I catch my arm on the doorhandle and wrench it pretty badly. That's going to leave a mark...
6:20 pm - Take a ten minute power nap in the parking lot.
6:30 pm - Race home to hop in and out of the shower and inhale some dinner quickly before Mr. Dunbar's class at 7:30.
7:15 pm - Find a parking spot down by Hagefen St. and sprint over to class. I'm desperately hoping there's a seat left in the front row, because if I sit in the back I know I'm going to doze off, and I don't want to start snoring.
9:00 pm - Dash out of class and hop in the car to quickly make my way out to Akka. I bring my ipod with me to listen to in the car in case I can't find a good music station on the radio, but I find a fantastic jazz program that mellows me right out. Until I hit the construction midway to Akka. Good Lord, I'm not supposed to relax today apparently. I put my ipod in and listen to upbeat 80's hits to put me in a better mood, and the traffic slowly clears up. There's nothing quite like belting out Aha's Take On Me at the top of your lungs to make you feel a whole lot better about life in general.
9:45 pm - Get to the Shrine and call Dispatch to let me in at the gate. It's actually pretty eerie driving through the property at night - I can't seem to keep the highbeams on; I have to manually hold the button down so I don't veer off the back road and into the olive grove. Finally I get to the Shrine and there are NO lights on the path; thank goodness I have a flashlight on my keychain, otherwise I would have had to use my cellphone as a light. But I soon meet up with one of the security guards on duty and feel much better.
10:00 pm - We grab Synnove's stuff and hop back into the car. At this point I'm so deliriously tired I'm babbling all the way back to Haifa. But we make it back intact and I drive to Hameganim to drop her off at home.
10:45 pm - Ok, turns out there was a soccer game tonight, and it's just letting out now. The road is absolutely jammed with cars and soccer nuts who are hopping back and forth between traffic. Just what I need in the middle of the night, to run over some crazy pedestrian. So we inch through the congestion for 15 minutes and finally make it around the roundabout to get to the other side of Hameganim and Synnove's flat.
11:00 pm - I am about to pass out at this point, but I turn the jazz station back on and drive up Ben Gurion Ave to take a look at the Terraces at night. The moon is absolutely enormous tonight, and driving up towards God's Holy Mountain, I feel an incredible sense of peace and well-being. It almost makes the day totally worth it.

No comments: