Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Family ties

It was my sister's birthday yesterday, and I was FINALLY able to catch her at home on the phone! She just turned 23; where did the time go? I can't even describe how nice it was to talk to her and hear her voice; it's been really difficult being here without my best friend. :(

I also got to talk with Dad, which was really cool because he's hardly ever home either; he's usually out in the garden all day or working on the myraid rental properties he owns. It was very adorable - he kept grilling me about my job and whether or not I have a boyfriend. When I mentioned I might have someone in mind, he started giving me boy advice (which he has NEVER done before, except to say that I can't get married until I'm thirty, so it was pretty unexpected). Here's what Dad had to say about boys:

1. I should just be myself and they'll come flocking (hasn't worked so far)
2. They are proud and generally stubborn
3. They are actually shy
4. They are usually pretty oblivious (hell yes they are!)
5. Most of them like girls to make the first move (uh, what?)

I like the last one; who knew? I would totally make the first move, but generally I'm afraid of stepping on male ego. No one wants to feel the possible sting of rejection either - I guess neither sex has it any easier than the other. Dads are such a great resource, eh?

I was so glad to talk to Dad and Jaleh, but now I'm sad that I can't be there to celebrate with them. It's definitely one of my most difficult tests here to be so far away from my family with whom I am extremely close.

Today I'm going to try and get a hold of Mom; it's been too long since we've talked, and I'm sure she's come up with about a gajillion new poems for me to hear!

No comments: