Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Choir Practice

I recently joined the Baha'i World Centre Choir. There are about fifty or sixty of us overall, and it is so much fun to rehearse.

I happen to be a "low" soprano, which basically means I can sing high, but not high enough to shatter glass with my voice. There are about a dozen sopranos altogether, which makes us the smallest section in the choir. I've never been in a choir where the bass section is larger than the soprano section, but I have to admit it does give us a beautiful, well-rounded sound.

We get to rehearse in the Seat every Tuesday evening after work. I must admit that I'm usually pretty exhausted by the time I arrive for practice, but the voice warmups and actual singing get me really pumped! By the end of rehearsal I feel like a million bucks! Which is useful, because I then have to walk home...

We have our first show on 9 November; I believe it's a celebration for Baha'u'llah's birthday. At home we celebrate His birthday by the Gregorian calendar (12 November); here in the Holy Land we celebrate The Bab and Baha'u'llah's birthdays as twin celebrations that follow the lunar calendar. So that means that Their birthdays won't be celebrated until January of next year. So, in deference to the importance of the date, we are putting together a celebration for Baha'u'llah in November.

I'm looking forward to all the fun I'll be having over the course of this next year with the choir!

No comments: