Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Healthy Living

Oh man, I am feeling so good right now!

I've started this new diet, maybe you've heard of it? It's called eating-good-food-and-avoiding-fatty-gross-food-as-much-as-possible. Familiar with it? Yeah, what I've discovered is that I actually feel pretty darn good when I'm not stuffing my face with refined sugars and carbs. Whodathunkit? :)

This great new health kick really started when I bought my friend's old blender a couple weeks ago(which still works fantastically well). I decided to try making myself some nice fruit smoothies in the hopes of replacing my normal evening regimen of cookies and ice cream. Well...it's been working like a charm.

Cutting the sweets and high-fibre pastas out of my lunchplate has also really been making a difference. I'm finding it almost easy to avoid them now. It certainly hasn't helped that the dessert section is at the beginning of the lunch line, but I'm becoming quite adept at walking past and heading straight for the salad bar where I proceed to fill up at least half my plate with salad. Then it's just a matter of getting rice instead of pasta, and a lot of the vegetarian options - while being inordinately good for you - also tend to look more appetizing than the meat options anyway.

Granted, I haven't completely cut ALL sweets and carbs out. Come on, we're only human - everyone wants a cookie now and then. But with a surprisingly little amount of effort, you can indulge in the naughty sweets without feeling guilty because you know the rest of the time you're eating right. It's actually kind of liberating...so there you go.

Eat right=feel good. It's not rocket science.

3 comments:

Alexander M Zoltai said...

I, too, am learning the delights of proper nutrition.

I've recently finished eleven months of abusive medical drug therapy for a liver disease. To say the least my body's in a precarious position...

Even though I appreciate your everyone-loves-a-cookie idea, my frailty has shown me that a chocolate binge, though so emotionally gratifying, has a profound effect on my ability to exercise...

Still totally appreciate the post !

~ Alex

Shireen said...

Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear about your therapy. But I do hope it worked to strengthen your liver.

The chocolate binge idea is really more gratifying in theory only, I do have to admit. If done too frequently, it tends to leave one in a state of over-stimulated sugar frenzy.

Alexander M Zoltai said...

I sure hope my comment didn't have a fragrance of criticism !

No...

I realize we're "only human" in the sense of making mistakes but also "Human" in the sense of the gem-like quality of our souls!

~ Alex