Tuesday, March 18, 2008

My Favourite Bakery

Mmmmm, my favourite bakery has been decided. It is a tiny little place on Mapu street out in the Ahuza. I have no idea what the name is, but I got a bunch of magnets with the phone number to put on the fridge, so I will remain in the dark as to its name.

Adam and I stopped by today to pick up lunch while delivering linens for new staff orientation. (I know it's still Fast time, but since neither of us are allowed to fast, we leave the office and pick up food so we don't disturb others.) The owner informed us that the apple pies we smelled were freshly out of the oven, and sugar-free, so we each had to purchase one. :)

There were some weird, triangularly-shaped, chocolate-filled cookies all over the store, which we were informed are called oznay haman. It means "ears of Haman", which is apparently a reference to a king in ancient Iraq who had Jews living in the area and heard of a plot to be killed or something, and there was some sort of warning from his Jewish concubine or something like that. I didn't really catch the entire story the bakery owner was telling us - all I know is that they are special cookies for Purim, yet another Jewish holiday to be celebrated with cookies!

I think I like it here. There's always cookies.

No comments: