Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Best Birthday EVER!!

Ok, today was my best birthday ever, hands down!

Sure, I had to get up at 4 AM to get to the Convention Centre on time for training before the election; sure I was on my feet for seven straight hours pointing delegates where they had to go; sure I didn't get much food. But you know what? I would do it all again in a heartbeat. It was AMAZING!

I have so much respect for everyone who put effort into organising this convention - it has been so well planned, everything is running like clockwork. And the spirit of prayerful meditation and brotherhood was unbelievable. NOwhere else in the world would you see such a dignified election process with no electioneering and campaigning. The delegates simply pray and meditate about those souls they feel would be the most fitting to be House of Justice members, and then they vote. Simple as that.

I was a delegate usher, which meant that I was primarily responsible for keeping the queue orderly and everyone in the right place at the right time. Plus, juggling delegates leaving for bathroom breaks and delegates returning to their seats after the voting, plus staff going back and forth - it was exhilarating! I didn't realise how much I missed ushering until today.

THEN, after lunch, we all headed out to Bahji for the Ninth Day of Ridvan celebration. Basically, the Ridvan festival is a commemoration of the twelve days Baha'u'llah stayed in the garden of Ridvan with his family and friends, before declaring His mission as a Manifestation of God. I believe the Ninth Day is celebrated specifically because that was the day He officially declared His station as a Manifestation. Ridvan is considered the most auspicious of times in the Baha'i calendar, and to be born on the Ninth Day has always been such a source of joy for me. I have been blessed, and at no time was it more obvious than today when I got to be a phyiscal part of the election process for the Universal House of Justice, and then participate in such a beautiful holy day at the holiest spot on earth, Bahji.

Plus, after all THAT, Swati invited me back to her flat for some "leftovers", then proceeded to surprise me with my 2nd November buddies, and we had a lovely, although random and slap-happy dinner. Just the way I like it. :)

Oh glorious, glorious day!!

No comments: