Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Thoughts on Parenting (or how to be ready for it...)

I need to head off to choir in the next few minutes, yet I'm still sitting at my desk in the office musing about things, big life-altering things.

I've been thinking a lot about parenting and preparedness. Having Brooke and Emad here in the Holy Land with little Navvab has really resonated something within me, but I'm still hesitant. What makes me think I could be ready to be a mother? I wonder - is there an innate capacity all women have to be wonderful mothers, or is a matter of nature versus nuture and not everyone is capable doing it well?

I mean, I know this won't even be an issue for me for some time, as I am still single. But being interested in somebody (albeit somebody currently in another country) is also making me think about where I could be in two years, five years, ten years. Hopefully off serving the Faith somewhere, making a difference in the lives of those around me. Will there be a family present, though? I really want to travel the world, but I don't want to go by myself. I want to be able to share those types of experiences with another human being, someone whose soul is intimately linked to mine, someone I can create a new soul with and bring that new soul up in the world together.

No comments: