Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I'm a blood donor!

Today was the day I gave blood for the first time. It was pretty daunting at first, but by the time I got there and it was all over and done with, it was no big deal.

The Health Centre has the local Israeli blood drive clinic come and visit once a year to drain all us Baha'is of our blood. I suppose one might ask, "Why on earth would you want to get your blood taken in another country?" My response would probably be, "Why on earth wouldn't I want my blood taken in the country with some of the best medical staff training?" Hmmmm?

Anyhoo, I got cookies and juice and a cute sticker that said I gave blood, so it was all pretty much worth it. I'm just glad I didn't get to see the needle beforehand; I'm terrible with needles. But the nurse was so gentle I barely felt it go in, and hardly felt it during. It wasn't until I was finished that I found out the needle was practically the length of my upper arm. Yeesh.

Mom will be so proud of me for finally donating blood. She's been working with the Red Cross back home for so long, so I knew all about it, but I was never able to donate before now.

Yay! I can't wait until next year when I can do it all again!

No comments: