Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Happiness

I sometimes feel that my life has no relevant meaning or purpose, that my existence is predicated on the sole fact that my parents whimsically decided to procreate and my immortal soul happened to be floating around in the ether when it occured.

However...

Some days it only takes a smile to know that I've touched a life that will be irrevocably changed because of my presence. And knowing that takes the sting out of some of the meaninglessness.

I'm not trying to be vain or proud of what I do. What I do is simply try to touch someone's heart and make their day a little bit brighter. If I can do that, I've accomplished my unspoken, heartfelt task for the day.

And when that happens, I feel a small sense of purpose, a small sense that this is part of what I am here for, what I am here to accomplish in this fleeting material existence. I like to make people happy - and that makes me happy.

No comments: